Senior Mechanical Engineer
About the Position
Mobius Biomedical is an early-stage biopharmaceutical company that is focused on developing innovative, pathbreaking process technologies to dramatically reduce the costs of traditional biologics manufacturing.
Mobius Biomedical is searching for qualified, highly motivated engineers/scientists with experience in protein purification methods and process development to join our engineering team and serve as a Senior Mechanical Engineer. This position will report directly to the Chief Scientific Officer.
- Work with the engineering team to design and prototype development of novel bioprocess equipment to enable reliable, cost-reductive downstream biopharmaceutical purification and processing.
- Lead the mechanical design and hands-on building, testing, troubleshooting, and design iterations of prototype equipment.
- Create and design parts, part assemblies, and equipment using SOLIDWORKS.
- Select appropriate components and materials based on design criteria.
- Work with the engineering and bioanalytical teams to design and perform appropriate experiments to test and evaluate equipment prototypes.
- Provide strong mechanical engineering expertise in bioprocess technology design reviews.
- Communicate design concepts, troubleshooting ideas, results, and observations to the analytical, engineering, and process development teams through strong written and oral communication skills.
- Develop effective working relationships with both internal and external partners.
- Maintain GLP compliant lab records, lab notebooks, and procedures.
- Maintain a safety first approach to science and engineering.
- Think creatively, problem solve, and develop innovative solutions based on sound scientific and engineering reasoning.
- Other duties as required.
PhD in Mechanical Engineering or related field with 2-5 years of relevant hands-on research experience with designing and prototyping equipment,
MS in Mechanical Engineering or related field with 5-8 years of relevant hands-on research experience with designing and prototyping equipment,
BS in Mechanical Engineering or related field with 8+ years of relevant hands-on research experience with designing and prototyping equipment
- Experience in the design and development of capital equipment for applications in life sciences.
- Experience with liquid handling and fluidics.
- Experience with downstream biopharmaceutical processing and related equipment, including centrifugation, depth filtration, affinity chromatography, ion-exchange chromatography, tangential flow filtration, ultrafiltration/diafiltration.
- High level of proficiency in SOLIDWORKS is essential.
- Strong hands-on mechanical and bench testing skills and ability to perform equipment design, assembly, testing, and troubleshooting.
- Strong knowledge of applied science and engineering principles, including physics, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, mass transfer, and heat transfer.
- Strong knowledge of machining and fabrication techniques for prototypes and production equipment.
- Experience with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Strong working knowledge of and ability to select fluid control components and systems, including fittings, liquid handling lines, valves, gauges, sensors, and pumps.
- Experience and skill in selecting materials and components based on design criteria and biological/chemical process compatibility.
- Experience with interfacing directly with vendors, design firms, fabricating and machining service firms.
- Ability to design and execute controlled experiments with a strong attention to detail is essential.
- General knowledge in mechanical, electrical, and controls engineering disciplines.
- Driven self-starter with capability to work independently as well as on interdisciplinary teams with chemists, biochemist, biophysicists, biomedical engineers, chemical engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, controls engineers, analytical chemists, materials scientists, biologists, etc.
- Comfortable working on high risk technologies in a fast paced, dynamic start-up environment.
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office and statistical analysis software.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills.
Mobius Biomedical offers a highly competitive salary commensurate with experience, Incentive Stock Options (ISOs), medical, dental, and vision benefits, short- and long-term disability, flexible spending account (FSA), and life insurance.
Position Type: Full-time
Position Location: Lowell, MA
Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.